All-Irish Primary Schools
The below information was compiled by Gaelscoileanna Teo, whose aim is to create and support a high standard of Irish language schooling throughout the country, as well as development and strengthening of Irish culture.
What is a Gaelscoil?
Irish-medium schools operate under the standard rules set by the Department of Education and Skills. Irish is the language of instruction in the school and the language of communication between the staff, pupils and school management. Irish is a living language in the school, both in the classroom and outside. Irish-medium schools provide a high standard of education in all subjects, including English, and the schools follow the curriculum as set by the Department of Education. All pupils are welcome in Irish-medium schools, regardless of their linguistic background.
- It may be very important to them that their children have fluent Irish.
- They recognise that children receive a unique insight into their own culture and other cultures through attending a Gaelscoil.
- Pride in the language and in the child’s culture is nurtured while attending a Gaelscoil.
- They wish for their children to speak, read and write in two languages and benefit from the numerous advantages which accompany this skill.
- They want their children to experience the high standard of education that these schools provide.
- They want to develop the self confidence and identity of the child.