This article provides an overview of the Gaelbhratach scheme.
An Ghaelbhratach is an award scheme that gives recognition to both primary and secondary schools that actively promote the Irish language throughout the entire school. Gael Linn, in conjunction with Conradh na Gaeilge and with support from Foras na Gaeilge, run this scheme in schools.
What are the aims of An Ghaelbhratach? The Gaelbhratach scheme aims to encourage and enable schools across the country to actively promote the Irish language within the school on a planned, continuous and enjoyable basis.
Objectives of the Gaelbhratach for schools:
- To encourage the use of the Irish language in the school
- To encourage active co-operation between the students, the teachers and the heads of the school
- For the school to receive recognition from the surrounding community for its commitment to promoting the Irish language.
Objectives of the Gaelbhratach for students:
- To encourage and enable the students to actively partake in promoting the use of Irish in the school
- To encourage and enable the students to willingly act as leaders and to learn organisational skills
- To enable the students to use the Irish language not only as a school subject, but as a language in their personal lives
- To give the students a better understanding of how they can use the Irish language outside of school
Objectives of the Gaelbhratach for the teacher:
- To empower the teacher to help and actively support the students in promoting the Irish language
- To facilitate better learning by encouraging personal motivation to speak the language
- To connect the teacher with a national system for promoting the Irish language
Why is it worthwhile for a school to take part?
- An Ghaelbhratach will inspire the whole school to use the Irish language
- An Ghaelbhratach will add to the positive image of the Irish language in the school and in the community outside of the school
- An Ghaelbhratach will inform the students about opportunities for Irish speakers outside of the school
- The students will have a greater interest in the Irish language
- An Ghaelbhratach will inspire leadership among the students themselves
- An Ghaelbhratach will empower students to actively promote the Irish language in the school
- An Ghaelbhratach will create a network between the students, the teachers and the heads of the school
- Taking part in the Gaelbhratach shows that the school’s students and staff (including prospective students and parents) have a specific interest in the Irish language and in its promotion
- The school will be part of a national movement to promote the use of the Irish language
When the aforementioned steps have been fulfilled to a satisfactory standard An Ghaelbhratach shall be presented to the school. It will act as sign of recognition of all the active work the school has done in promoting the use of Irish.
How can we register for An Ghaelbhratach?
If you are interested in your school taking part in An Ghaelbhratach, you can find more information on the Gaelbhratach website.
Date updated: September 2023